Palm Beach Gardens Community High School
Five Star Magnet Program
Medical-related careers will be the fastest growing in the state ofFloridaduring the next ten years.
The Five Star Magnet Program offers students unique courses and opportunities in preparation for top post-secondary schools and future careers. Over 840 students are enrolled in the five program areas. In each program, students take 1-3 specialized classes per year that emphasize important life and career skills such as communication, critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and technology. These skills are reinforced both in and out of the classroom through special guest speakers, field trips, internships, student organizations, and community service. Communication and support from our Business Advisory Board provide opportunities to strengthen our program. This combination of academics and hands-on learning prepares students to become leaders in tomorrow’s world.
Students in the Pre-Medicine Program follow an extensive four-year college preparatory program designed to prepare the university bound student for a Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Pharmacy or Pre-Dental major. The rigorous specialized curriculum includes emphasis on honors and advanced placement courses. The Junior level Pathophysiology and Clinical Preceptorship courses incorporate a hands-on experience in chronic and acute care facilities. Students graduate with an Honors Allied Health Assisting Certificate from the Florida Department of Education and can earn state and industry certifications in First Responder, as well as the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant certification.
This program emphasizes the following:
- Courses that stress the development of communication skills, legal and ethical practice, and career skills performed by health professionals.
- A clinical preceptorship with hands-on contact with clients in chronic and acute care facilities such as the Edward J. Healy Rehab Center, Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center, HCR Manor Care, and Good Samaritan Hospital.
- Training by the American Lung Association in the “Students Teach Students Program” to provide awareness to hundreds of elementary students about the dangers of smoking.
- Field trips to VA Hospital and Bodies Exhibit
- Training in American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety, AED and HIV Peer Education¨
- Other community service projects include: Race for the Cure, Relay for Life, Making Strides against Breast Cancer, Buddy Walk for Downs Syndrome, Project Yule Tide for the Edward J. Healy Rehab Center, American Cancer Society and the CMS Children’s Holiday Party
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is the student organization for the Pre-Med Magnet Program. Since 1991, PBGHS students have attended yearly state and national conferences in such places asCalifornia,Tennessee,Ohio,Illinois, andGeorgia. The Palm Beach Gardens High School HOSA Chapter has consistently been a leader in earning top awards at the HOSA National Leadership Conferences. These top awards have included medals in Spelling- HOSA Bowl, Medical Reading, Pathophysiology, Biomedical Debate, Pharmacology, Human Growth and Development, Dental Terminology, Nutrition, Kaiser Health Care Issues, and Outstanding HOSA Chapter.
With these academic, volunteer and clinical experiences, students are prepared for a future in the medical field.
Check our student-run website at: www.FiveStarMagnet.org
Like us on Facebook!
Recommended Four Year Program of Study
|9th GRADE||10th GRADE||11th GRADE||12th GRADE|
|English I (Pre-AP)||English II (Pre-AP)||English III (Pre-AP) or AP English||English IV (H) or AP English|
|Geometry (H)||Algebra II (H) or Pre-Calculus (H)||Pre Calculus (H) or AP Math||AP Math or
|World Geography (H) or AP Human Geography||World History (H) or AP World History||American History (H) or
AP American History
|American Government(H)/ Economics (H) or AP Government and Economics|
Biology I (H)
|Pre-Medicine Chemistry I (H)||AP Chemistry or AP Biology or Physics I (H)||Law and Medical Ethics (H) or
First Responder (H) or Nursing Assistant (H)
|Pre-Medicine Anatomy and Physiology (H)||Health Science II||Allied Health Assisting 3 with Clinical Preceptorship (H)||Medical Internship (H)|
|Foreign Language ~Latin I Highly Recommended||Foreign Language ~Latin II Highly Recommended||Foreign Language or Elective||Additional science course|